Sunday, September 25, 2005

Starbucks Pisses Off The Religious Right


Religious activists have been busy at work boycotting Starbucks Corporation because of its progressive attitude towards diversity. Starbucks sponsors gay pride events in many cities, and proudly embraces its gay employees.
The Christian Examiner accuses Starbucks of "promoting the homosexual agenda" with quotes printed on coffee cups. (On a side note, what exactly is this 'homosexual agenda', and why haven't I received a copy of it?)

If you have been to Starbucks recently, you may have noticed different quotes printed on the side of your coffee cup.
One of these quotes, by Armistead Maupin has "sparked a firestorm of controversy" (in the cliché saturated parlance of our media moguls.)

The quote reads: "My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short."

Baylor University actually went as far as to have 500 cups with the Maupin quote removed from the store.
Linda Ricks, Marketing Program Manager of Baylor Dining Services, said Baylor Dining Services agreed to get rid of the cups out of respect for "Baylor culture.""There are different view points on the Baylor campus, We pulled the cup to be sensitive to view points."

Ricks said Starbucks's headquarters supported the cup removal.

Beneath each quote is printed a cautious disclaimer: "Please note: The opinions put forth by contributors to “The Way I See It” do not necessarily reflect the views of Starbucks." The disclaimer has done little to shield the coffee giant from attacks by right-wing activist groups. Concerned Women For America, a Christian women's organization, which promotes itself as being the antithesis of the National Organization For Women complained that most of the quotes on the cups are liberal.

The group believes that the coffee chain has a responsibility to reflect the diversity of its customers by using a balanced approach in ad campaigns-- or by staying away from socially controversial topics completely.

Maureen Richardson, state director of Concerned Women for America of Washington, stated:
"Corporations have deeper pockets and therefore more influence than individuals do,"
"I think it's wiser for them to stay out of these issues so that they don't offend conservatives and people of faith."
To these companies, she says: "If you want my money, support some of my causes."

"The Way I See It" campaign does not set out to take a political stand but rather to encourage discourse, said Starbucks Spokesperson Audrey Lincoff.
"If you think back to the history of the old coffee houses, before the Internet, these were places to converse," she said. "That's part of what the coffee culture has been for a century or more."

Starbucks doesn't categorize the quotes printed on the cups as liberal or conservative; but rather as a diverse group of intellectuals, artists, musicians, educators and athletes.

"Embracing diversity and treating people with dignity is one of the guiding principles of our corporation," Lincoff said.

Starbucks will not be removing the Maupin quote, or any others from its "The Way I See It Promotion".

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 2 cents

8:39 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

You'd be surprised to learn how many men there are in the "Concerned Women for America"

I have a feeling that something rather queer is going on!

All the cup says is that if you fall in love, then love someone. Is that not what Jesus said?

9:30 AM  
Blogger web_loafer said...

I am so slow getting around to answering everyone that visits Sanity's Bluff and takes the time to comment. Young lady, you have your head screwed on correctly, there is no danger that it will fall off.

Continue.

I buy my Sbux beans at the grocery store, (I don't think the sbux shops let truck drivers in), and it is marketed in the same way all beans in the grocery store are.......11 or 12 ounce bags. It is about $8 for that amount. I do appreciate the fact that a date is on the bags. Starbucks is the only one that does that. There is nothing that makes me madder than to open up a bag of coffee beans, and discover dried up, shriveled up beans.... probably packaged around the time of the Korean War.

I am as you know, a proud member of the religious right, but those wackos that complain about the writings on a cup of good coffee....
They are wackos. I have come to the conclusion that all of us are a little wacko about something. I try not to advertise my wackiness. My blog is not wacky, it is Sanity's Bluff.
Your blog, should I say blogs....are great. Don't be afraid of the Bluff.

Pot of the morning to ya....ooops that should have been Top of the morning....dyslexia probably, or flashbacks.

Keep your cheerful look at life, and life will reward you.....and if the world crumbles...you will still be cheerful.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Sparkling said...

Finally a reason to like Starbucks. Having not been to a Starbucks in absolute years, I have totally missed their quotation campaign.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home